What are local solutions to jointly addressing affordable housing, homelessness, and health? What are the gender dimensions to these issues? We explore these issues in a Vancouver context with four speakers who bring considerable experience and insight into providing safe, adequate, affordable, and gender-inclusive housing in the city.
- Janice Abbott, CEO of Atira Women’s Resource Society and Atira Property Management Inc.
- Janet Kreda, Manager of the Homelessness Secretariat, Metro Vancouver
- Margot Young, Associate Professor of Law at UBC and Co-Principal Investigator of the Housing Justice Project
- Jean Swanson, anti-poverty and anti-gentrification activist, Carnegie Community Action Project
- Christine O’Fallon, homelessness researcher, Women Transforming Cities board member, and discussion facilitator
This discussion was recorded at the Women Transforming Cities National Conference held on May 30, 2013. The panel was called On the Streets Where We Live: Housing Rights and City-based Solutions for Women and Girls.